Jun 18, 2018

Your Best Guide for Rome

If you like to discover something more about Rome please follow the Facebook page of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for the most beautiful city in the world. Stay tuned!


Jun 15, 2018

Castro Pretorio

Night shots along the street of Castro Pretorio, a rione (historical district) in the center of Rome

Jun 14, 2018

Lovely stay in Rome

If you like to come in Rome take a look to this lovely hotel in the city center, just a few steps from Termini railway station. Since 1957 Hotel Montecarlo is the best choice for lovely Roman Holidays!

Facebook      Instagram     Website

Jun 13, 2018

Jun 11, 2018

Bridge of Angels

The Eternal City is overflowing with beautiful art where in every corner there’s some gorgeous church, or ancient fountain, or stunning masterpiece from a famous artist like the Ponte Sant’Angelo, or Bridge of Angels, which it is one of these incredible sights, just in front of the marvelous Castel Sant'Angelo...

Jun 10, 2018

The modern port of Rome

At the end of Tiber river where there is Ostia Lido, the port of Rome. Some photo walks at night around...

Jun 8, 2018

Castel Sant'Angelo

The majestic Castel Sant'Angelo, originally the Mausoleum of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, then later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and now it's a museum...

The construction project for Castel Sant’Angelo started in 123 AD and finished around 139 AD. During that period it was regarded as one of the most important structures in Rome and It was also the tallest building in all of city at that period...

 Hadrian, one of the most important Roman Emperors, was responsible for the commissioning of the project planning that the castle will serve as a mausoleum for him and his family...

The current name of the castle, Sant'Angelo (Saint Angel), was given because of the events of 590 when there was a plague that ravaged the empire and killed more than 25 million people. Legend has it that angel Michael appear on top of the mausoleum, sheathing his sword to end the plague...

Jun 7, 2018

Angels of Rome

One of Angels on the Bridge of the Angels (Ponte Sant'Angelo), in front of Castel Sant'Angelo, built in 134 AD, the most beautiful bridge in the Eternal City with its ten angels sculpted in the 17th century by Bernini students...

Jun 6, 2018

Lonely bench at night

Lonely bench at night along the ancient Aurelian Walls, in the rione (district) of Castro Pretorio, one of the 22 rioni (districts) of Rome. The Aurelian Walls are the line of city walls built between 271 AD and 275 AD, by Emperor Aurelian (215 - 275 AD). The full circuit ran for 19 km (12 miles) enclosing all the Seven Hills of Rome...

More information and pictures:   Castro Pretorio  and  Aurelian Walls

Jun 5, 2018


When in Rome don't forget to do a trip across the Tiber river to Trastevere, a charming medieval area with a fiery temperament of the typical people of Rome and also a formerly working-class district with a heady nightlife. Walking around Trastevere will take you away from the crowds to the hidden corners of the Eternal City...

Jun 4, 2018

Sacred Road

The Via Sacra ((Sacred Road) was the main street of ancient Rome, leading from the top of the Capitoline Hill, through some of the most important religious sites of the Forum (where it is the widest street), to the Colosseum. It was part of the traditional route of the Roman Triumph that began on the outskirts of the city and proceeded through the Roman Forum. In the 5th century BC, the road was supported by a super-structure to protect it from the rain.[citation needed] Later it was paved and during the reign of Nero it was lined with colonnades. The road provided the setting for many deeds and misdeeds of Rome's history, the solemn religious festivals, the magnificent triumphs of victorious generals, and the daily throng assembling in the Basilicas to chat, throw dice, engage in business, or secure justice. Many prostitutes lined the street as well, looking for potential customers...

Jun 3, 2018

Ostia Antica

Recently archaeologists have discovered a secret part of Ostia, the ancient seaport close to Rome, which they say is bigger than Pompeii. Ostia was the first Roman colony and the first river port in Italy. The name of Ostia derives from "Ostium" that in Latin means "mouth of the river" and it's far 25 km from the Eternal City. Here some pictures taken a few years ago

Interesting Facebook pages about Ostia Antica:

Friends of Roman Ostia

Ostia Antica Atlas

Scavi di Ostia Antica

Interesting websites about Ostia Antica:


Ostia Antica Atlas

Jun 2, 2018

Festa della Repubblica

Today 02 June in Italy is national day, the foundation of Italian republic with many celebrations in the historical center of Rome. Happy Italian National Day!

Jun 1, 2018


When Vittorio Emanuele II died, on 1878, it was decided to erect a monument celebrating the Father of the Nation, and with him the entire period of Risorgimento. In 1880 he was banished the first international competition, won by the Frenchman Nénot, to whom however did not follow an enforcement phase of the project. In the next competition, launched in 1882, participation was reserved only for Italian designers. It was also drawn up a detailed list of recommendations for the project, that prescribed “a complex to be erected on the high north of the Capitol, in line with the Via del Corso; a bronze equestrian statue of the King; an architectural background of at least thirty feet length and twenty-nine in height, left free in form but adapted to cover the buildings behind and lateral Church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli. “The competitors had one year to deliver the project. The proposals submitted were 98 and of the three selected for the final choice the royal commission voted unanimously Giuseppe Sacconi, a young architect from Marche...

Victor Emmanuel II always had the goal of making Italy unified. Then there arose a unified Italy in 1861 and he came to be the first king. When he died in 1878, he was buried in the Pantheon...

The monument was started in 1895 and was later finished in 1911. The whole area in which it is now situated, underwent extreme demolition and so it was said to be a grandiose edifice on top of dead grounds. There were even ruins and rare finds excavated upon its construction...

The focal point of the monument is the statue of a horseman. This was made as a representation of Victor Emanuel II. It was completed in 1889 and was inaugurated in1911...

It also has its famous detail, the Altare della Patria, or the Altar of the Fatherland, which is where the tomb of an unknown soldier is found. This soldier was killed in the 1st World War and became a symbol for all unknown fallen soldiers of Italy. So, the monument is not just to commemorate Victor Emmanuel II, but also all war casualties during the medieval world...

Although hurled with numerous criticisms as to its architectural finish, the monument remains a popular spot for sightseers. For some, the structure is similar to a wedding cake, because of its wide stairways. Others would see it as a typewriter because of its odd and huge shape...

The opening of the monument as a public place created accessibility that made it very popular among Italians and now even tourists from other nations...