The Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori (Chiesa di Sant'Alfonso di Liguori all'Esquilino) is a church located on the Via Merulana, on the Esquiline Hill, one of the Seven Hills of Rome.
One of the rare examples of neo-Gothic architecture in Rome, it was built between 1855 and 1859 is one of the last papal churches of the city. Designed by the Scottish architect George Wigley, is dedicated to St Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787) the founder of the Most Holy Redeemer, who founded and staff the church, and is one of thirty-three Doctors of the Church. The facade is of brick and travertine and features three doors. In the central tympanum of the door there is a polychrome mosaic depicting Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The facade is further embellished by a rose window.
The interior decorations, rich with marble, date from the end of the nineteenth century
The apse is crowned by a mosaic, put in place in 1964, depicting the Redeemer enthorned between the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph. Above the mosaic hangs the original icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, which was produced in Crete in the 14th century and given to the Redemptorists by Pope Pius IX in 1866