Oct 13, 2014

Baths of Diocletian

The Baths of Diocletian are the most imposing thermal complex ever built in Rome. Erected between 298 and 306 CE, they spanned more than 13 hectares and could accommodate up to 3000 people at the same time, within a structure consisting of a series of environments such as gymnasia, libraries, a swimming pool of more than 3500 square metres and those rooms that were the heart of every thermal complex: the frigidarium (cold bath), the tepidarium (lukewarm bath) and the calidarium (hot bath). It was precisely these latter spacious rooms the ones converted by Michelangelo into the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels and the Christian Martyrs: in the other environments arose the Carthusian Monastery, conceived by the artist himself. Original seat of the Museo Nazionale Romano (National Roman Museum) since its institution in 1889, the Baths and the Charterhouse are currently undergoing a restoration process that has thus far permitted the reopening of a part of the monumental complex and of the two sections of such a composite museum, the Section of Proto-history of the Latin Peoples and the Epigraphic Section, this one pertaining to Written Communication in the Roman World. Besides the exhibition, visitors can enjoy, therefore, the sumptuous and imposing Aula Decima, wherein are exhibited the big tomb of the Platorini and two chamber tombs, decorated with frescoes and stuccoes, originally from the Necropolis of the Via Portuensis. It is then possible to have a stroll in the large Michelangelo's Cloister of the Charter house, which today is an unexpected haven of peace and silence despite being only a few steps from the bustling Termini Train Station; in it are on display more than 400 artworks such as statues, reliefs, altars, sarcophagi, all coming from the Roman environs

Erette tra il 298 e il 306 d.C., avevano un'estensione di oltre 13 ettari e potevano accogliere fino a 3000 persone contemporaneamente, in un percorso che si snodava tra palestre, biblioteche, una piscina di oltre 3500 metri quadrati e gli ambienti che costituivano il cuore di ogni impianto termale: il frigidarium, il tepidarium e il calidarium. Proprio queste ampie sale furono trasformate da Michelangelo per la realizzazione della Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri Cristiani: negli altri ambienti delle Terme sorse, ideato dallo stesso artista, il Convento dei Certosini. Sede originaria del Museo Nazionale Romano fin dalla sua istituzione nel 1889, le Terme e la Certosa sono oggetto di un processo di restauro che ha finora permesso la riapertura di una parte del complesso monumentale e di due sezioni espositive di un articolato museo, la Sezione di Protostoria dei Popoli Latini e quella Epigrafica sulla Comunicazione Scritta nel Mondo Romano. Il visitatore può dunque, oltre al percorso museale di visita, godere anche della sontuosa e imponente Aula Decima, all'interno della quale sono esposte la grande tomba dei Platorini e due tombe a camera provenienti dalla Necropoli della via Portuense con affreschi e stucchi; è poi possibile passeggiare nel grande Chiostro Michelangiolesco della Certosa, oggi inattesa oasi di pace e silenzio a pochi passi dall'affollatissima stazione Termini, dove sono esposte più di 400 opere tra statue, rilievi, altari, sarcofagi provenienti dal territorio romano


No comments:

Post a Comment