Aug 30, 2016

Fountain of the Barrel

The Fountain of the Barrel, built in 1927, and located in the Trastevere quarter on the corner between via della Cisterna and via San Francesco a Ripa. This fountain was the work of the architect Pietro Lombardi to show the traditional presence in the area of taverns and wine shops. The barrel, placed vertically on a base, is the typical “cart” used in the past to transport the wine of the Roman castles and from a central hole the water pours out and is collected in a half basin below. On either side of the barrel are two containers to measure the wine of the type still in use today in Roman taverns from which flow water that is collected in strategically placed shells


No comments:

Post a Comment