Oct 20, 2017

Fontana del Moro

The Fontana del Moro (Moor Fountain) is a fountain located at the southern end of the Piazza Navona, not so far from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma. This fountain was designed in 1575 with the dolphin and four tritons, then, in 1653, the statue of the man was added by Bernini. It represents a Moor, (perhaps originally meant to be Neptune), standing in a conch shell, wrestling with a dolphin, surrounded by four Tritons. It is placed in a basin of rose-colored marble


Oct 19, 2017

Giardino degli Aranci

Daily scenery of the tranquil Parco Savello, also known as Garden of Oranges, on the top of Aventine Hill. A magic and silent place from where you can enjoy a fantastic view of the many monuments, roof tops and domes of Rome. Easily reachable from Hotel Montecarlo Roma


Oct 18, 2017

Palatino

On the top of the majestic Palatine Hill that towers over the Circus Maximus and the Roman Forum, close to the Colosseum. This is the place where Romulus, the first Roman king, founded in 753 BC the city of Rome. Easily reachable from Hotel Montecarlo Roma 



Oct 17, 2017

Ostia Antica

It's like a real time travel walking around Ostia Antica, the amazing archeological site of the ancient port of Rome, with beautifully preserved ruins, founded between in the 7th BC, far 25 km (15,5 miles) from the capital city. From our Hotel Montecarlo Roma is very easy to reach this site: just getting the subway from Castro Pretorio stop (a few meters from us) to Piramide stop, then train to Ostia Antica station, at the cost of only one ticket of Euro 1,50


Oct 14, 2017

Largo Argentina

Largo Argentina or Largo di Torre Argentina (named also Sacred Area) is a square in Rome with four Roman temples (built between 4th and 2nd century BC) and the rest of the Pompey's Theatre and also the place where Julio Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC. Not far from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma






Oct 13, 2017

The Pope John Paul II monument

The monument dedicated to Pope John Paul II, a big 17-foot-tall bronze sculpture, located in the square in front of Termini Station, the main railway station of Rome, a few steps from Hotel Montecarlo Roma


Oct 12, 2017

Ostia Antica

The amazing archaeological park of Ostia is the Rome's answer to Pompeii . It was the first Roman colony and the first river port in Italy. The name of Ostia derives from "Ostium" that in Latin means "mouth of the river" and it's far 25 km from the Eternal City. Easily reachable from our Hotel Montecarlo in 40 minutes by metro, then suburban train


Oct 11, 2017

Largo Argentina

Largo Argentina (named also Sacred Area) is a square in Rome with four Roman temples (built between 4th and 2nd century BC) and the rest of the Pompey's Theatre and also the place where Julio Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC. Now this place is full of cats, a real Cat Sanctuary, a no-kill shelter because in Italy there is a no-kill law for homeless cats (of which Rome has many), and is guided by a group of volunteers who sterilize stray cats in the capital city. Easily reachable from Hotel Montecarlo, when in Rome don't forget to visit it


Oct 10, 2017

Statua del Babuino

The ancient statue of the Babuino (Baboon), one of the talking statues of Rome, situated beside the Chiesa di S. Atanasio dei Greci, in via del Babuino, between Piazza di Spagna and Piazza del Popolo. The statue is an ancient depiction of a reclining Silenus: a character in Roman mythology, half man, half goat. Since 1581 it's used as decoration for public fountain. It's far from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma approx 35-40 minutes walking


Oct 9, 2017

Aventino

On the top of Aventino (Aventine Hill), the southernmost of the seven Roman Hills - on which Ancient Rome was built - one the most peaceful places in the capital city, full of interesting sights, including several churches and a couple of gardens like the famous Orange Garden. Not far from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma, just 10-15 minutes by metro or bus


Oct 8, 2017

The Colosseum

The majestic Colosseum (built between 72 and 80 AD) had over 80 entrances and could accommodate about 50.000 spectators. From Hotel Montecarlo is far 25-30 minutes on foot or 5 minutes by subway: metro B-line from Castro Pretorio (a few meters from us) to Colosseo stop


Oct 7, 2017

The Roma Metro

The Rome metro is an underground public transportation system opened in 1955 and is the oldest in Italy. It comprises three lines: Line A (orange), Line B (blue) and Line C (green) and operates on 60 km (37.3 miles) of route, serving 73 stations. Picture taken in the Castro Pretorio station, a few steps from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma


Oct 6, 2017

Ostia Lido

Ostia Lido is a sea town on the Tyrrhenian Sea, near the ancient port of Rome, named Ostia Antica, separated from the area of Fiumicino airport by the mouth of the Tiber River. It's far 27 km from the capital city


Oct 5, 2017

Sant'Agnese in Agone

View into frescoed cupola and pendentives of the 17th-century Baroque church Sant'Agnese in Agone, that faces onto Piazza Navona, amazing square and one of the main urban spaces in the historic center of the Eternal City, built between 1652 and 1672. The cupola is frescoed with the Assumption of Mary, begun in 1670 by Ciro Ferri and finished after his death in 1689 by Sebastiano Corbellini. Easily reachable from Hotel Montecarlo, when in Rome don't forget to visit this wonderful church in Piazza Navona


Oct 4, 2017

Triton Fountain

In Rome there are many amazing Bernini's works like the beautiful Fountain of the Triton, created in 1623 and sited in Piazza Barberini, beautiful square far 20 minutes walking from our Hotel Montecarlo, your best stay and best guide for Rome


Oct 3, 2017

Colosseum

Night scenery of the marvellous Colosseum, the greatest symbol of the Roman civilization, built between 72 and 80 AD, sited between Esquiline, Palatine and Celian Hills, easily reachable from Hotel Montecarlo, your best stay and best guide for Rome


Oct 2, 2017

Say My Name

"I have spent my whole life scared, frightened of things that could happen, might happen, might not happen, 50-years I spent like that. Finding myself awake at three in the morning. But you know what? Ever since my diagnosis, I sleep just fine. What I came to realize is that fear, that’s the worst of it. That’s the real enemy. So, get up, get out in the real world and you kick that bastard as hard you can right in the teeth" – Walter White, Breaking Bad


Oct 1, 2017

The statue of Goethe

The statue dedicated to the writer and poet, Goethe (1749-1832), great lover of Rome, created in 1904 as tribute for him, in memory of his stay for more than one year (1786-1788) in the Eternal City. It's in the public park of Villa Borghese, close to our Hotel Montecarlo Roma, only 15 minutes walking. Happy October to all the blog followers!

Don't miss to visit the blog of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 30, 2017

Villa Borghese

Around Villa Borghese, beautiful landscape public park, full of Roman ruins, museums (like Borghese Gallery), ancient trees and attractions. In this picture, on the left, you can admire the splendid Temple of Aesculapius. Since the 16th century Villa Borghese is one of the most marvelous public park in Rome (the third largest in the city) and is far 15 minutes walking from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for the Eternal City

Don't miss to follow the blog of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 29, 2017

Interior of the Basilica

Interior of the amazing Basilica Santa Maria degli Angeli, designed by Michelangelo and erected in the 16th century inside the Roman ruins of the Baths of Diocletian (built between 298 and 306 AD), close to our Hotel Montecarlo Roma

Don't miss to follow the blog of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 28, 2017

Little statue of Angel

Interesting angel sculpted in the Basilica Santa Maria degli Angeli, great church erected in the 16th century inside the ruins of Baths of Diocletian (built between 298 and 306 AD), thank to the genius of Michelangelo, very near to our Hotel Montecarlo Roma


Don't miss to follow the blog of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 27, 2017

Tiber at night

The Tiber is the third longest river in Italy, rising at Mount Fumaiolo, in the Appennine Mountais, in central Italy, and flowing 406 km (252 miles) through Umbria, Lazio to the Tyrrhenian Sea. It has achieved lasting fame as the main watercourse of the city of Rome, founded in 753 BC, on its eastern banks. According to the legend, the king Tiberinus  ninth king of Alba Longa, ancient city destroyed by Rome, in the middle of 7th century BC, was drowned while crossing the river, which was afterward called Tiberis river. After his death Jupiter made him a god and guardian spirit of the river, named Tiberinus (god). This gave rise to the standard Roman depiction of the river as a powerfully built reclining river god, with streams of water flowing from his hair and beard. The Tiber river was also believed to be the river into which Romolus and Remus (the former founded Rome) were thrown as infants. The rest is history


Sep 26, 2017

Roof Garden Bar

Some pictures of the new beautiful roof garden bar of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, since 1957 the best three-star hotel in the Eternal City, with services and qualities of a 4 star. Your best stay and best guide for Rome




Sep 25, 2017

Vittoriano

The Vittoriano, the younger monument in the historic center of Rome, built between 1895 and 1911, not far from our Hotel Montecarlo Roma. Picture taken last July, 2017More information and details about the Vittoriano on the blog  of the best stay and best guide for Rome


Sep 24, 2017

Icona di San Camillo

Un'altra foto realizzata da diversa angolazione del magnifico quadro del pittore marchigiano Carlo Maratta (1625 - 1713) che raffigura "Il Crocefisso che conforta San Camillo de Lellis" che potete ammirare all'interna della chiesa barocca SS. Vincenzo e Anastasio, davanti la Fontana di Trevi

Per alcuni secoli la memoria di questa bellissima opera è andata perduta ma grazie ad una lunga e appassionata ricerca dei Padri Camilliani, l'ordine religioso istituito da San Camillo nel 1582, è stata finalmente riscoperta

E' una icona del santo che va oltre la preziosità del magnifico pennello del pittore Carlo Maratta perché rappresenta una vera testimonianza visiva che l'artista marchigiano colse della prima comunità Camilliana, quella che aveva vissuto  e conosciuto profondamente il santo fondatore

Nei prossimi post di questo blog pubblicheremo altre fotografie di questa magnifica icona, la prima dedicata a San Camillo e consegnata alla comunità dei credenti

Per ulteriori dettagli e informazioni visitate qui di seguito i due seguenti link:

L'ICONA DEL MARATTA

IL CROCEFISSO E SAN CAMILLO

Sep 23, 2017

Icona di San Camillo

Se vi capita di andare a Fontana di Trevi, di fronte vi è la splendida Chiesa dei SS. Vincenzo e Anastasio, magnifico esempio del Barocco Romano, costruita tra il 1646 e il 1650. Nel suo interno, in fondo sulla destra, c'è un bellissimo quadro dedicato a San Camillo de Lellis (1550 - 1614) che raffigura il Crocifisso che conforta Padre Camillo, realizzato dal pittore marchigiano, Carlo Maratta (1625 - 1713), figura centrale della pittura romana e italiana della seconda metà del Seicento. A lungo perduta la memoria di questo meraviglioso quadro è stato ritrovato dopo una lunga e appassionata ricerca da parte dei Camilliani, l'ordine religioso istituito da San Camillo nel 1582. Data la sua importanza storica e religiosa e ciò che rappresenta averlo riscoperto merita assolutamente una visita. Il luogo è di fronte alla Fontana di Trevi, non distante dal nostro Hotel Montecarlo Roma, circa 20-25 minuti a piedi


Per ulteriori informazioni vi suggerisco la visita del seguente link: www.camilliani.org

Sep 22, 2017

Fontana di Trevi

La fontana più bella di Roma e una delle più celebri del mondo, realizzata tra il 1732 e il 1762 su una precedente "vasca" realizzata nel Quattrocento, a sua volta costruita sui resti di un antico monumento realizzato nel I secolo a.C. dall'architetto Agrippa, genero dell'imperatore Augusto, per celebrare l'apertura dell'acquedotto Virgo e lo sgorgare delle sue acque nell'Urbe. Il nome Trevi deriva dal fatto che in passato qui esisteva un trivio, cioè tre vie che si diramavano da un unico punto. La Fontana di Trevi è assolutamente la prima meta da visitare della Città Eterna

Seguite la pagina di Facebook dello storico Hotel Montecarlo Romail miglior soggiorno e la miglior guida di Roma

Sep 21, 2017

Via della Conciliazione

(From Wikipedia) - Via della Conciliazione (Road of the Conciliation), a famous street in the Rione of Borgo, that roughly 500 metres (1,600 ft) in length, and connects Saint Peter's Square to the Castel Sant'Angelo on the western bank of the Tiber River. The road was constructed between 1936 and 1950, and it is the primary access route to the Square. In addition to shops, it is bordered by a number of historical and religious buildings – including the Palazzo Torlonia, the Palazzo dei Penitenzieri and the Palazzo dei Convertendi, and the churches of Santa Maria in Traspontina and Santo Spirito in Sassia. Despite being one of the few major thoroughfares in Rome able to cope with a high volume of traffic without congestion, it is the subject of much ire both within the Roman community and among historical scholars due to the circumstances under which it was constructed. The area around the church was rebuilt several times following the various Sacks of Rome, and again after having deteriorated due to the loss of prosperity resulting from the Papacy's relocation to Avignon during the 14th century. Through all of these reconstructions, the area in front of the short courtyard of Saint Peter's Basilica remained a maze of densely packed structures overhanging narrow side-streets and alleyways.
Plans were drawn up several times over the years for the construction of a major link between the Vatican City and the centre of Rome; the number of submissions increasing dramatically with the onset of the Italian Renaissance. The first design was submitted by Leone Battista Alberti during the reign of Pope Nicholas V, and formed one of the two perennial designs proposed for the area. Alberti envisioned an "open" plan, consisting of a single voluminous V-shaped boulevard, widest at St. Peter's Basilica itself and tapering as it approached the Tiber. The other scheme of designs submitted by architects was a "closed" plan that would consist of two roads arching outwards in an ellipse, with the Tiber and the Square at opposite ends. Proponents of a closed plan would usually suggest that the space between the two causeways be separated by a colonnade, or by a row of inhabited structures whose designs would be scrutinised and approved by architects employed by the Holy See. Variations on both themes were submitted time and time again. Proponents of an "open" plan included such architects as Giovanni Battista Nolli and Cosimo Morelli. A number of other architects, such as Carlo Fontana, and at least one Pope (Sixtus V) favoured a "closed" design, with a number of streets radiating from the central square, maintaining the "spina", or spine, of the structures of Borgo directly between the square and the Tiber.[9] Neither approach moved beyond sketches and blueprints. Both open and closed designs were considered by the Vatican, but were ultimately discarded for reasons of expense. A thorough examination of the costs of constructing a thoroughfare was made by the Vatican-approved St. Peter's Building Commission in 1651. Their conclusion was that "the cardinals' proposal to demolish all the buildings between the Borgo Nuovo and the Borgo Vecchio for a greater and longer vista to the church" would be infeasible due to inordinately high expropriation costs and vested property interests.

Further momentum was lost when Gian Lorenzo Bernini was commissioned to redesign the terrace in front of the Basilica in 1656. After discarding several sketches, Bernini settled on a colossal open space in the shape of an ellipse. With the potential expense of clearing Borgo, Bernini decided instead to make use of the warren of poorly maintained medieval buildings to obscure any view of the Vatican structures from any significant distance. In this way, pilgrims emerged from the relative darkness of the city into the vast open space and grandeur of the Square and its surrounding buildings – a sight calculated to inspire awe in first-time visitors to the Holy See's seat of power. Bernini had originally planned to demolish a square roughly 100 m to a side directly in front of the square, filling the space with a third colonnade (or "terzo braccio") to match the two still standing today. This would afford a longer vantage point to allow visitors a better viewing angle of the new Basilica. The death of his patron, Pope Alexander VII, put a halt to Bernini's work. The third set of columns was abandoned, and Bernini's piazza remained open-ended and incomplete.

From the final major reconstruction of Borgo in the 15th century, the site which the Via della Conciliazione now covers remained occupied by residential, religious, and historical buildings for nearly 500 years. The final impetus behind the road's construction was primarily political. Borgo, along with the rest of the Papal States outside of the Vatican itself, was taken by the Kingdom of Italy during the Italian unification in the 19th Century – leading to Pope Pius IX's declaration that he had become a prisoner in the Vatican and the formation of the Roman Question. For the next 59 years, the Popes refused to leave the Vatican, in order to avoid any appearance of accepting the authority wielded by the Italian government over Rome as a whole. Initially, parts of the Italian government welcomed this, expecting the influence of the Papacy to fade to the point that enough political support could be gained to abolish it altogether. However, this failed to come to pass, and eventually a compromise acceptable to both states was reached in the Lateran treaty of 1929.

Prime Minister Benito Mussolini, who had signed the accord on behalf of the King, resurrected the idea of a grand thoroughfare symbolically connecting the Vatican to the heart of the Italian capital. To fulfil this vision, Mussolini turned to the prominent Fascist architects Marcello Piacentini and Attilio Spaccarelli. Drawing inspiration from a number of the designs submitted by Carlo Fontana, Piacentini came up with a plan that would preserve the best aspects of both the "open" and "closed" designs – a grand boulevard that would nonetheless obscure the majority of the Vatican buildings per Bernini's intentions. The vast colonnaded street would require the clearance of the whole "spina" of Borgo placed in between the Basilica and the Castle. Since the facades of the buildings lining this space did not align perfectly, in order to create the illusion of a perfectly straight causeway traffic islands would be erected along both sides, with rows of obelisks leading towards the Square, doubling as lampposts. These were also intended to reduce the effect that the funnel-shaped design would have on perspective when facing the Basilica. The wings of those buildings closest to the square would be preserved to form a propylaea, blocking the greater portion of the Vatican City from approaching visitors and framing the Square and Basilica at the head of a grand open space that would allow for easy vehicular access.

Demolition of the spina of Borgo began with Mussolini's symbolic strike of the first building with a pickaxe on 29 October 1936 and continued for twelve months. Even at the time, the demolition proved controversial, with many Borgo residents displaced en masse to settlements ("borgate") outside of the city. Among the buildings dismantled, either totally or in part, and rebuilt in another position, were the Palazzo dei Convertendi, the house of Giacomo Bartolomeo da Brescia, the Church of the Nunziatina, the palaces Rusticucci-Accoramboni and degli Alicorni (the latter had been already demolished in 1931). Other buildings, like the palace of the Governatore di Borgo and the Churches of San Giacomo Scossacavalli and Sant'Angelo al Corridore, were destroyed. Facing into the cleared area are five other historical buildings, the Palazzo Giraud Torlonia, the church of Santa Maria in Traspontina, the Palazzo dei Penitenzieri, Palazzo Serristori, and Palazzo Cesi (which was mutilated).
The construction of the road was only a small feature in the reconstruction of Rome ordered by Mussolini, which ranged from the restoration of the Castel Sant'Angelo, the clearance of the Mausoleum of Augustus, to the vastly more complicated site of the Via dell'Impero through Rome's ancient imperial remains. His plan was to transform Rome into a monument to Italian fascism.
In five years, Rome must appear marvellous to all the peoples of the world; vast, orderly, powerful, as it was in the time of the first empire of Augustus.

Construction of the road continued long after Mussolini's death and the abolition of Italian Fascism. The obelisks along the road were installed in time for the Jubilee of 1950
Since its completion, the road has acted as the primary access point to St. Peter's Square, and by extension to the Vatican City itself. At times, such as during the funeral of Pope John Paul II, it has acted as an extension to the square itself, allowing a greater number of visitors to attend functions conducted there

(From Wikipedia)

Find and follow Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 20, 2017

Arch of Constantine

Arch of Constantine, the largest Roman triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill, erected in 315 AD to commemorate Constantine Emperor's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312 AD

Find and follow the Facebook page of Hotel Montecarlo Roma, your best stay and best guide for Rome

Sep 19, 2017

Best Stay in Rome

My suggestion for unforgettable Roman Holidays. If you like to visit Rome and stay in a very good hotel with a splendid rooftop terrace take a look at Hotel Montecarlo Roma, the best three-star Roman hotel with services and qualities of a 4 star! Check the official website: www.hotelmontecarlo.it  and follow the Facebook page