Feb 10, 2017

Campo de' Fiori

Campo de' Fiori is a rectangular square south of Piazza Navona. In Ancient Rome the area was unused space between Pompey's Theatre and the flood-prone Tiber. Since 1869 a daily vegetable and fish market that was previously held in Piazza Navona has been held there. At night, this square is a meeting place for tourists and young people coming from the whole city. The monument in the center was dedicated to Giordano Bruno (1548 - 1600), rebel Dominican friar and philosopher, burnt alive here for heresy on 17 February 1600 by the Inquisition. In the past executions used to be held publicly here in this square


Every soul and spirit has some degree of continuity with the universal spirit, which is recognized to be located not only where the individual soul lives and perceives, but also to be spread out everywhere in its essence and substance, as many Platonists and Pythagoreans have taught" – Giordano Bruno (1548 - 1600)

No comments:

Post a Comment