Mar 18, 2018

The Orange Garden

When in Rome don't forget to visit the Orange Garden (in Italian: Giardino degli Aranci) as known as the Savello park (Parco Savello), located on the Aventine Hill, one of the Seven Roman Hills, from where to enjoy an excellent view of the city. The garden, whose name comes from the many bitter orange trees growing there, extends over the area of an ancient fortress built near the basilica of Santa Sabina by the Savelli family between 1285 and 1287, which, in turn, was built over an old castle constructed by the Crescentii in the tenth century. The garden is bordered by a wall that once surrounded the Savelli castle and other remains of the castle can also be still seen. The castle was later given to the Dominican Order from Santa Sabina, which transformed it into a monastery, and the small park into a vegetable garden. According to legend Saint Dominic (1170-1221) gave the garden its first orange tree, after transporting a sapling from Spain. Legend also tells that Saint Catherine of Siena (1347-1380) picked the oranges from this tree and made candied fruit, which she gave to Pope Urban VI


No comments:

Post a Comment